Thursday, September 30, 2010

Walking on water

But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid." "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water." "Come," Jesus said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. Matt.14:27-29

For those that may not know, I recently left my job as a computer programmer. Why would someone leave a perfectly good job? Well, God has been putting it on my heart to be a Bible Translator for some time now, and it was finally time to stop talking about it and start doing it. I can't do it without training, so I am moving forward in getting a B.A. in Linguistics, and will be taking my first set of Linguistics courses starting in June at the Canada Institute of Linguistics.

Between now and June, I am continuing my study of Biblical Greek, reading through the textbooks for two of my upcoming Linguistics courses, and I am going to be taking a full set of courses in the spring toward my B.A. degree. Mindy and I are also currently taking a course in missions called Perspectives (http://www.perspectives.org/), which has been excellent.

Some of you might be wondering what it really means to be a Bible Translator: the basic gist is that you and your family go to live with another people group (such as in a village), to learn their language and culture. Once you are fluent enough, you begin the long process (anywhere from ten to twenty plus years) of translating the Bible into that language. Many times that requires creating a written form of their language, and then the people need to be taught to read their language.

You can ready more about the work of Bible Translation here:   http://www.wycliffe.org/

We had been planning to join Wycliffe soon, but it looks like that will be delayed, perhaps until I get my degree. So, how can a family of five afford to do this you might ask? Well, we can't, but we are walking in faith with our eyes fixed on Jesus. If God wants the work done, and we believe strongly that He does, then He will provide for us. If you are feeling led to help us financially, then there is a Donate button on the right side of the page where you can do that.

Another area where we really need your help is prayer.  Please pray for our family that God would continue to provide, protect, and guide us along His path for our lives.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment