Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fall Update

Hello, everyone!

It looks like fall is moving in up here in Washington. The leaves are starting to change color, which is something new to us after living our whole lives in California. They actually have seasons up here in Washington, which is wonderful! However, we are told that in the fall and winter it is overcast and rains a great deal. This causes depression for many people up here, and we would request that you please pray that we will be able to adjust to this time, and that God would keep the depression away for us.

Our family is adjusting to life up here in Washington, and we have found a good church, but we still miss California, our church there, and all of the great folks we had to say goodbye to.

I (Steve) am taking four classes right now: three linguistic classes that are affectionately known to the folks up here as "the killer pack" due to the heavy workload, and an Old Testament class. As part of my linguistics classes, I am currently learning Ilocano, which is a language of the Philippines. All of this is keeping me extremely busy.

The other day I was reminded of a powerful work by C.T. Studd, which I now leave you with:

Only One Life
By C.T. Studd (1860-1931)


Two little lines I heard one day, Traveling along life's busy way;
Bringing conviction to my heart, And from my mind would not depart;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
Then, in 'that day' my Lord to meet, And stand before His Judgment seat;
Only one life,' twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, the still small voice, Gently pleads for a better choice
Bidding me selfish aims to leave, And to God's holy will to cleave;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, a few brief years, Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
Each with its days I must fulfill, living for self or in His will;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

When this bright world would tempt me sore, When Satan would a victory score;
When self would seek to have its way, Then help me Lord with joy to say;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Give me Father, a purpose deep, In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;
Faithful and true what e'er the strife, Pleasing Thee in my daily life;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Oh let my love with fervor burn, And from the world now let me turn;
Living for Thee, and Thee alone, Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;
Only one life, "twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Now let me say, "Thy will be done";
And when at last I'll hear the call, I know I'll say 'twas worth it all";
Only one life,' twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment